[CentOS] Re: Intel RAID controller -- IGNORE MegaRAID link

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 8 18:55:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 11:51 -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > he asked how to make it work, I gave him a suggestion on
> > that and didn't offer any opinion on the value of it since
> > I didn't know what its capabilities were.
>
> I know.  My intent was not to "cross" you, but I just wanted
> to let him know that the link was only going to confuse him.
>
> If it was another, intelligent hardware RAID solution, then
> that link would have been viable.  All he needed was to get
> the driver.
>
> But I've only seen a few FRAID attempts and they are much
> more involved than a SCSI module.  Or the vendor only
> releases a kernel version-specific module.
----
of course you are assuming facts not in evidence.

If for example, he was trying to dual-boot with Windows and Windows had
already set the drives up as fake raid...then he would probably have to
work it through in this way to use a partition on the existing raid
setup in some manner - and then my links may have been helpful.

I of course wouldn't know this - I only have one system as dual-boot -
my ancient Sony PictureBook laptop and am generally not a fan of dual-
boot systems.

Craig