[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 12:39:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 01:21, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> This is growing tiresome.  I hope this e-mail ends it.

No, it just shows that you don't understand what I
said yet.

> > When the repository maintainer has
> > all the files in place this file would be modified - and
> > some special consideration should be applied to make sure
> > it shows up last during mirror updates.  This extra part could
> > be avoided if the 'latest timestamp' is published somewhere
> > and you could manually pass it to yum during the update.
>
> And I have told you this is _more_involved_ than you think!
> If you knew how even CVS actually works, you would understand this.

Everthing I want could be done if yum simply had an option
to ignore files newer than a specified timestamp and
repository changes only involve additions (and the latter
is already the case).  No extra server operations or
network traffic is necessary.

All I want is to be able to pretend that additions
more recent than a prior run weren't there.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com