[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Sep 9 13:29:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 07:39 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> No, it just shows that you don't understand what I said yet.

Actually, I don't understand what you're thinking.  Then again, I don't
think you understand how CVS works either.

But I _do_ know _exactly_ what you want.  Unfortunately, how you think
it can be done is full of omissions.  Date/timestamps won't solve your
"resolve from date X" want.  That's what I can't seem to explain.

I even tried to use your CVS analogy and why it becomes infeasible.
Apparently you're not familiar with how CVS works on the repository
either.

> Everthing I want could be done if yum simply had an option
> to ignore files newer than a specified timestamp and
> repository changes only involve additions (and the latter
> is already the case).

And you have absolutely no familiarity with what is involved with this
on the _repository_ end.  You have seemingly only used the YUM client,
not actually created a YUM repo.  The YUM client relies on a meta-data
file because the YUM repo is little more than a "web site."  It yanks
down those meta-data files to do resolution.

If you want arbitrary fetches at an arbitrary tag/date, they you are
going to _massive_bloat_ those meta-data files, not to mention the time
it takes to resolve.

> No extra server operations or network traffic is necessary.

Absolutely _not_ true.  You are oblivious to the fact that the YUM
client _relies_ on a set of meta-data files on the YUM repository.
That's where the YUM client gets its information and many other details,
_not_ by directly "browsing through" the tree.

> All I want is to be able to pretend that additions more recent than
> a prior run weren't there.

Until you run your _own_ YUM repository and use createrepo a few times,
you will be oblivious to what a YUM repository is.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com