[CentOS] Disk problem has stopped 'df' from working

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:16:19 UTC 2005

On 15/09/05, Nigel kendrick <support-lists at petdoctors.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi folks, probably not CentOS specific but any help appreciated:
>
> One of our CentOS4 servers crashed and when checked there was a disk problem
> which turned out to be a faulty SATA cable on one of the RAID 1 drives. This
> was sorted and the server brought back up after the usual disk checks and
> all has been well for the last week. Today, however, I tried 'df -h' and
> got:

> df: `': No such file or directory

Are there problems with any other commands like mount, lsof or du? Do
the contents of /etc/mtab match what mount is showing as mounted?

Is there anything in /var/log/messages ? Does "strace df -h" give any
indication where the problem lies? Are you sure it's /bin/df you're
running? Does the binary have the same size and md5sum as a working df
on another machine with the same version of the coreutils package?

Will.