[CentOS] Re: plan of action?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 16 15:16:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 10:12 -0400, Tom Cat wrote:
> This is my first post.  This also will be my last.
>
> I really must have picked the wrong time to join this list.  I joined
> b/c I was thinking of switching to CentOS at home.  We have RHEL at
> work and it is great, I just can't afford the cost for home.
>
> I first went to Whitebox, but that seems to be plagued by slow updates
> and a dependency on one person.  Then the seriously broken mailing
> list removal system happened and the list was flooded with unsubscribe
> requests - this was all before the hurricane hit.    Most everyone on
> that list claimed they were moving to CentOS.  So I thought I'd check
> into it.
>
> What I encountered here is just horrible.  I've only seen about a
> day's worth of posts, but it is one of the worst flame wars I've ever
> seen.  I'm of course not going use CentOS either.  With a list like
> this there will never be any support if I run into a problem.    If
> CentOS is still around in a year or two and I still have found a good
> distro, I'll check and see if anything has improved.
>
> I'd suggest you take Mr. Knaddison's advice below.  #2 seems like the
> best plan as there will be a forum moderator who can lock threads and
> delete posts.   At worst a flame will only be visible until the
> moderator gets around to delete it.
-----
Any mail list is subject to the whims and opinions of the participants
involved. This list has a lot of very bright people with a lot of
diverse opinions and arguing is sometimes an effective way and sometimes
not an effective way to resolve differences of opinion.

CentOS also has forums which you can use to get questions answered but I
can assure you that the more knowledgeable users of CentOS aren't likely
to monitor the forums.

CentOS is a great project - made even greater by the great minds that
participate in it.

If you are going to use Linux, it's best to develop a thicker skin,
learn how to simply delete the messages that don't interest or involve
you - in essence learn to filter the traffic to your liking.
Unfortunately participation in the CentOS list doesn't require periodic
Dale Carnegie type training.

Craig

believed to be clean.