[CentOS] Are PHP and MySQL running on my CentOS installation?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 02:11:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 20:30, Collins Richey wrote:
> On 9/16/05, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> > Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> > > I wrote a small test HTML page with basic head and body information, and
> > > simply this PHP in the body:
> > > <?php
> > > echo 'hello world':
> > > ?>
> > > And then opened it in FireFox. As expected, it didn't display anything.
> >
> > Wrong place to ask, please take your querry to a more suitable list (
> > you might find something here : http://www.php.net/support.php ).
> >
> > If people on this list wish to reply, please do so off-list.
> >

> Fortunately other people replied with meaningful information to help
> this person. I'm underwhelmed by your unwillingness to help. Linux,
> IMHO, is all about people helping each other

But that question was wrong in so many ways that you can't tell
where to start with an answer, aside from it not having a lot
to do specifically with Centos.

That's not html.
You can't expect firefox to do anything with it.
If he did name the file with a .php extension and let apache serve
it, he didn't mention the reason the logfile showed for why it
didn't work.

The centos-related answers that might apply:
yum install php php-mysql mysql mysql-server
and disable selinux until you understand it.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at futuresource.com