[CentOS] Uniprocessor kernel booted after YUM update

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Tue Sep 20 16:10:48 UTC 2005

Jim Bartus wrote:

> Dr R L Oswald wrote:
>
>> Recently, yum installed an updated kernel 2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp;  when
>> we got around to rebooting, we found that some of the machines were
>> running the uniprocessor kernel 2.4.21-32.0.1.EL , showing only a
>> single cpu. The grub.conf file had been modified in the usual
>> pushdown manner but the default kernel had been set at #2 instead of #0.
>

> I had an extremely similar thing happen to me on a RHEL3 box when I
> applied update 5.  I didn't notice it for a few days so I just assumed
> I had made a mistake, but your post inclines me to believe its a bug
> in the upgrade scripts.

It happened to me too.  I figured I was the one made an error and
manually fixed the "broken" ones.  Mine were a mixture of HT-enabled
P4's (which would normally run the smp kernel) and some dual opteron
machines.  These are all rack servers configured identically so I'm not
sure what triggered the behaviour in some of them without affecting them
all.  Wierd.

Cheers,