[CentOS] Bryan Smith: Thanks for the IPCop recommendation

Bill Maltby wild-bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Sep 23 20:52:00 UTC 2005

>On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 18:39 -0400, Bill Maltby wrote:
>>> A few weeks back I had tried to install CentOS on my old AMD 5x6x (equiv
>>> to P75 performance) with plans to use it as my firewall and router.
>>> Because there were some problems relating to RPM compile architecture
>>> (apparently), I posted and Bryan suggested IPCop, even at peril to his
>>> life on these lists  ;-)
>>> according to him.  ;-)    ;-)
>>> Just wanted to tell him thanks, it's worked out well. Had three old ISA
>>> NICs (3Com combos BNC and TP), configured them for 3 different IRQs and
>>> IOBEG addresses and have it working beautifully. Have 3 zones and a
>>> recent download of several files sized *teen megabytes and larger gave
>>> me throughput of 590-600 KB/sec off my cable modem. I am out in the
>>> low-density boonies, but I still feel this is fairly impressive.
>>> They even have a boot diskette available to support those old BIOS that
>>> won't boot CDs, as this unit was.
>>> So, thanks Bryan.
>>> I'm trying to configure a backup unit on an old Aptiva DX2/66. Have 1
>>> ISA Etherjet. Need a couple more ISA NICS that are configurable for
>>> IRQ/IOBASE. Anyone that wants to put two old good ISA NICS into a home
>>> where they will be cared for and appreciated, send me an email with
>>> details, if config diskette available (even if off the net), price, etc.
>>> I'll pay shipping too. Remove the underscores in the following address.
>>>       w_ild-_bi_ll_ at _tra_id._rr._c_o_m
># 1 - Bryan asked to be prevented from posting
That's a shame. Just finished going through the digests and saw it all.
Too bad the he and his adversaries couldn't work things out.

># 2 - ipcop is a slam dunk for your hardware and what you are trying to
Yep. It was great. The only thing left to investigate is to see what it
takes to get these NICs to do full duplex (do I want this?) to my switch
(I think it's possible, have to do some reading). I configured them that
way, but upon boot something in IPCop seems to set them to half duplex.

># 3 - your email address after removing the underscores doesn't match
>the email address that you sent your email with.
:O Dyslexic keyboard interface digits! "triad", not "traid" is correct
result. Wasted effort anyway. I notice that the mail system puts it all
at the top of the posts but for changing "@" to "at". Oh well

># 4 - you should have no problems picking them up new & used on ebay...
>hint search 'ISA NIC' - you will find buy-it-now pricing for $ 4.99 and
>probably can bid on some for less.
Good idea. Thx.