[CentOS] Bryan Smith: Thanks for the IPCop recommendation

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 21 23:06:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 18:39 -0400, Bill Maltby wrote:
> A few weeks back I had tried to install CentOS on my old AMD 5x6x (equiv
> to P75 performance) with plans to use it as my firewall and router.
> Because there were some problems relating to RPM compile architecture
> (apparently), I posted and Bryan suggested IPCop, even at peril to his
> life on these lists ;-)
> according to him. ;-)  ;-)
> Just wanted to tell him thanks, it's worked out well. Had three old ISA
> NICs (3Com combos BNC and TP), configured them for 3 different IRQs and
> IOBEG addresses and have it working beautifully. Have 3 zones and a
> recent download of several files sized *teen megabytes and larger gave
> me throughput of 590-600 KB/sec off my cable modem. I am out in the
> low-density boonies, but I still feel this is fairly impressive.
> They even have a boot diskette available to support those old BIOS that
> won't boot CDs, as this unit was.
> So, thanks Bryan.
> I'm trying to configure a backup unit on an old Aptiva DX2/66. Have 1
> ISA Etherjet. Need a couple more ISA NICS that are configurable for
> IRQ/IOBASE. Anyone that wants to put two old good ISA NICS into a home
> where they will be cared for and appreciated, send me an email with
> details, if config diskette available (even if off the net), price, etc.
> I'll pay shipping too. Remove the underscores in the following address.
>       w_ild-_bi_ll_ at _tra_id._rr._c_o_m
# 1 - Bryan asked to be prevented from posting

# 2 - ipcop is a slam dunk for your hardware and what you are trying to

# 3 - your email address after removing the underscores doesn't match
the email address that you sent your email with.

# 4 - you should have no problems picking them up new & used on ebay...
hint search 'ISA NIC' - you will find buy-it-now pricing for $ 4.99 and
probably can bid on some for less.

believed to be clean.