[CentOS] A little iptables help

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Sep 28 18:09:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 10:46 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> This need to happen in the nat table:
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d --dport 5900 -j DNAT
> --to-destination
> Make sure is using as it's router for this traffic.
> Kirk

I can't make use as the router.

If I loaded a port forwarding application on and had it
forward ports to .4 for port 5900 I would not have this requirement.

Can't iptables to the same thing somehow?

I have a java application that would do the port forwarding I need,
EXCEPT, that application will not let me restrict by ip address. BUT,
now that I think about it, I could run this java application to forward
the ports and just use iptables to make that port only available to
certain IPs. It would be accomplishing the same thing I suppose.

Would still rather do it with iptables since that would be one less
point of failure.