[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Wed Sep 7 02:54:22 UTC 2005
Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com>

On 9/6/05, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Tim Edwards wrote:
>
> > John Newbigin wrote:
> >
> > > I also think yum is too slow.
> >
> > I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. After using urpmi at home on
> > Mandrake with more than 11000 packages in the configured repos I can say that
> > yum is definately far slower with only ~4000 packages in configured repos. The
> > whole "Setting up Repos" and "Reading repository metadata in from local files"
> > is a real drag.
>
> Check if you have enough memory in the system. I experienced that Yum
> needs more than 192MB of RAM.

Yeah, but that depends on the number of packages you are
updating/installing.  If your package list and dependency tree has
fewer than 2 or 3 packages, it needs very little RAM.  I've used yum
2.2.x on systems with 64MB of RAM without problem by simply listing
out all of the packages that need to be updated with "yum list
updates" and then installing them in groups of 2 or 3.

Greg