[CentOS] Yum configuration and freshrpms

Sat Sep 10 12:46:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 12:26 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> >yum list installed
> >

> Thank you for suggesting something. I ran this command, and it gave me a
> big list of stuff that's installed. However, I can't tell from looking
> at this list whether or not these RPMs are stable RPMs designed for
> CentOS or not. Is there something in the listing that signifies this?
>
> My system seems to be largely working, so I'm not sure if I should
> really worry about this. But I want to ensure future stability as much
> as possible, so if someone could confirm whether or not this should be
> an issue I should worry about...?
>
> Dave

Dave,

There is a command that will tell you all the extra (things not in your
current listed yum repos).

So ... with the freshrpms IN your yum configuration ... do the command:

yum list extras > with_freshrpms

THEN REMOVE the freshrpms repo ... that can be done by putting a # in
front of the all the lines that configure it ... then do this:

yum list extras > without_freshrpms

This difference between those two lists IS the items you have installed
that are from freshrpms

You can get a difference with a command like this:

diff --side-by-side with_freshrpms without_freshrpms > diff_freshrpms

and look at the file diff_freshrpms .... items with a "|", "<", or ">"
are different (so are installed by freshrpms).

You can then use the command:

rpm -e package1 package2 package_to_the_end

(substitute the real package names for package1, package2, etc... list
all packages on one line because of dependencies)

before you delete packages, you can make sure that they are really in
the freshrpms repo by looking at:

http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/1/i386/freshrpms/RPMS/

(that is assuming your arch is i386 ... if it is something else,
substitute the correct arch for i386 in that link)