[CentOS] plan of action?

Fri Sep 16 14:50:31 UTC 2005
Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com>

Let me start by saying that this forum has been extremely helpful for
me.  I am not sure where I would place myself as far as Linux
experience/qualifications, since I believe there are many like me out
there (or maybe I am hoping there are) that do not exactly fit into the
routine beginner, intermediate or expert classes.  Over the last 30
years I have been writing DBMS applications that manage 60-70% of the
national class action lawsuits, and being a DBMS oriented programmer,
does not out of necessity, expose me to what's under the hood.  My
concern is that the OS works.

So, every few years I reinstall an upgraded OS for my Windows server and
my Linux servers in my home office.  Then I just let them run.  For
Linux, many questions arise that underlines something I have learned
over the years:  Linux administrators need to understand computers in
general and the OS in particular at a very detailed level.  Not as true
for Windows administrators.  I tried by taking a course on Linux admin
at a local JC, but only had reinforced how much there is to know and how
I respect those that administer Linux systems.

The result is that I try to get the nswers from the many Linux books I
have, but asking those of you that have contact daily with Linux more
times than not gives me salient answers to my questions.

All I can say is a BIG THANK YOU for your patience and willingness to
help.  And maybe an apology is needed for asking about YUM, but I just
wanted to know (briefly) why some of the Linux Admins do not like it
(for me, it is just great).  After a few replies the question was
adequately answered...for me, it did not take the remainder of replies.

Todd