[CentOS] plan of action?

Fri Sep 16 14:59:57 UTC 2005
Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com>

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 07:50 -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> experience/qualifications, since I believe there are many like me out
> there (or maybe I am hoping there are) that do not exactly fit into the
> routine beginner, intermediate or expert classes.  Over the last 30
> years I have been writing DBMS applications that manage 60-70% of the
> national class action lawsuits, and being a DBMS oriented programmer,
> does not out of necessity, expose me to what's under the hood.  My
> concern is that the OS works.

You're definitely not alone. I've been using Linux for around 8 years
now. 5 year as my primary desktop. I've set it up as a wireless/wired
router (before those things were as cheap as they are now, back in the
1mbps wireless days), I've compiled kernels. But mostly I'm a
Java/Ruby/SQL developer. So mostly I just need the OS to run as a
server/development box/desktop. I'm by no means an expert at Linux. I've
never built it from scratch. I know how it works, but largely it's a
tool to get stuff done for me. And in my case Linux is the best choice.
It's a pragmatic choice, like every other technical choice I make. So
you're definitely not alone.

> for Windows administrators.  I tried by taking a course on Linux admin
> at a local JC, but only had reinforced how much there is to know and how
> I respect those that administer Linux systems.

I once considered getting LPI certified. Too much to learn, though.
Maybe someday.

Preston