[CentOS] upgrade release to upstream to CentOS timeframes?

Tue Sep 20 17:22:53 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 11:45, Robert wrote:

> anyways, the question i am wondering is... when a mainstream package like
> Apache httpd is upgraded to a newer version and released by the package
> maintainers, how long does it take for that to be picked up by our
> "upstream" and then incorporated and pushed to CentOS availability?

The short answer is 'never'.  The point of enterprise distributions
is that within their lifespan there are never major changes to
the included applications. Instead, the old versions are supported
by backporting security and bug fixes to the original releases so
anything that depends on current behavior does not break.  Sometimes
that's what you want; sometimes it isn't...

Personally I wish there were an intermediate between fedora and
Centos that had a slow release cycle for the operating system
and hardware-related components but stayed close to the developers
on the desktop/application side.  That way you wouldn't have to
screw up a nice stable installation with new device drivers you
don't need just so you can have the recent improvements to
OO and Evolution (which won't crash the machine even if they
have a problem).  But, nobody does it that way.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com