[CentOS] upgrade release to upstream to CentOS timeframes?

Tue Sep 20 20:24:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 12:22 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 11:45, Robert wrote:
>
> > anyways, the question i am wondering is... when a mainstream package like
> > Apache httpd is upgraded to a newer version and released by the package
> > maintainers, how long does it take for that to be picked up by our
> > "upstream" and then incorporated and pushed to CentOS availability?
>
> The short answer is 'never'.  The point of enterprise distributions
> is that within their lifespan there are never major changes to
> the included applications. Instead, the old versions are supported
> by backporting security and bug fixes to the original releases so
> anything that depends on current behavior does not break.  Sometimes
> that's what you want; sometimes it isn't...

Right ... during the lifetime of CentOS-4, it will most likely be
httpd-2.0.52-*

IF (not likely) the upstream el4 distro changes to a newer version, so
will CentOS.

CentOS's goal is to have the exact same versions as the upstream el4
distro.