[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Wed Sep 7 19:53:11 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> on server systems I find it to be a good idea. If you set
> up as one LVM volume, it's not going to be on it's own
> partition.

Aw now, don't get anal.  ;->
Besides, that's all subjective.

E.g., even a "Logical Partition" isn't a partition.  It's a
"partition in a partition" since the legacy PC BIOS/DOS disk
label can only have 4 partitions.

That's why I like to use the UNIX terminology of disk labels
and disk slices.  Removes the whole legacy PC BIOS/DOS
non-sense, even making it easier to explain NT5+ (2000+)
Logical Disk Manager (LDM) as well.

> at any rate - sometimes journal'd filesystems are damaged
> and the only sure way to know is to fsck it - which the

Exactomundo.  Journaling filesystems are not the savior of
disk corruption, only the reducer of boot times -- unless you
have something like full data journaling with a NVRAM.