[CentOS] install CentOS using an external USB cdrom

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Tue Apr 4 11:19:51 UTC 2006

You wrote;
>  > Try append console=ttyS0,38400,n8
> > For using serial port 0, and 38400 baud
>
> I can only append it to the iso (as I don't have a keyboard
> attached). How should it be appended to the iso ? I know how
> to open the iso and change it; to be more accurate, I should
> add these parameters to the isolinux.cfg. But then, how to
> create the new iso with the new isolinux.cfg ? Is it but
> mkisofs ? and it case it is, with which parameters exactly ?
> Regards, IB

Yes, you put it in isolinux/isolinux.cfg
Then create a new CD.

Download the ISO image to a Linux Box, and then run this script
mkdir cd_image
mount -o loop -t iso9660 Nu-CentOS-BQ-3.0.iso cd_image
mkdir custom_cd
cd cd_image
cp -Rp * .discinfo ../custom_cd
cd ..
umount cd_image
rmdir cd_image
cd custom_cd

After you make all of your changes, now is the time to create an ISO
image.

You need to have "mkisofs" installed to be able to do this

cd custom_cd
mkisofs -o ../Nu-CentOS-BQ-3.0.iso \
        -V 'BQ-CentOS Install v3.0' \
        -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
        -c isolinux/boot.cat \
        -no-emul-boot \
        -boot-load-size 4 \
        -boot-info-table \
        -R -J -T .

That's it, it should create your new ISO.  From there, just burn it to a
CD!

Gerald