[CentOS] Update of CentOS 4.0 to 4.3

Wed Apr 12 13:40:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 06:18 -0700, Mike Stankovic wrote:
> --- Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>
> > Mike Stankovic wrote:
> > > That is from the bad-old-fedora days when
> > connecting
> > > to remote servers over inconsistent connections
> > was
> > > the order of the day.
> >
> > CentOS isnt Fedora, so lets not try and offer advice
> > based on non-CentOS
> > experiences. if you must - label it to be such.
> >
> > > Kudos for CentOS which rids me of this menace.
> > >
> > > Still 4.0 -> 4.3 is a big upgrade and
> > selinux/yum/apt
> > > have all changed.
>

> > I dont see how that is relevant in this case....
>
> There is no need for a high-handed response.
>

> > selinux wont change any customised policy you might
> > have in place.
> > yum updates in the transactionset fine
> > there is no apt included in the base distro
> >
> > > On most of my systems I make changes to the
> > default
> > > config so perhaps my case is unique.
> >
> > most people make changes / config tweaks to software
> > they use... thats
> > why the .rpmnew and .rpmsave are a good thing !!
> >
> > you might want to read up on package policy and tree
> > policy on CentOS a
> > bit. you seem much confused between Fedora and
> > CentOS
>
> Have you tried a 4.0 -> 4.3 directly over an
> inconsistent internet connection?

Any major updates on an inconsistent Internet connection can cause
problems.

We have addressed that by adding 10 mirrors to the update system ...

There should be failover protection (assuming you install yum and
centos-yumconf first).

That said, IF one has inconsistent internet connectivity, they should
definitely do large updates in chunks ... as a yum (and rpm) can cause
duplicate packages if it is interrupted after the install stage and
before the cleanup stage.

I have done numerous 4.0 -> 4.3 test upgrades as a test ... and I did
not have a problem at all.  (BTW, the 4.1 -> 4.2 problem won't happen on
4.0 -> 4.3 ... or even 4.1 -> 4.3 ... only 4.1 -> 4.2).

There is no problem with being cautious ... and taking the install in
chunks can minimize problems as long as you use yum and do package
dependency checking.   BUT ... for the average user with a standard
broadband connection, utilizing the standard update method from centos-
yumconf-4.5 with geoip mirrors and failover a normal "yum upgrade"
should be safe enough.

We do want everyone to understand that in previous upgrade cycles we
recognize that there was problems, which is why we spent the time to
design the new update system for CentOS-4 2 months ago:
http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=118

So, some of the concerns of the past have been addressed.  At the same
time, it is hard to be too cautious :)

> Yes as you missed my last post, we cannot jump to
> conclusions without knowing the exact situation the
> original poster is in. There is no confusion between
> Fedora and CentOS (in my mind), and you yourself said
> there was an issue from 4.1 -> 4.2 What
> changes/updates has he made to the system?

That is true as well ... other than he was running 4.0 and wants to run
4.3, we don't know much else.

If I was overly concerned about updates and Internet connectivity
though, I would just maintain a local mirror (and I do :).  I would also
test the update on a test system prior to upgrading an extremely
important production system (and I do :).