[CentOS] Update of CentOS 4.0 to 4.3

Mike Stankovic mlists2006 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 13:46:23 UTC 2006

--- Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> Mike Stankovic wrote:
>
> >> CentOS isnt Fedora, so lets not try and offer
> advice
> >> based on non-CentOS
> >> experiences. if you must - label it to be such.

> >> selinux/yum/apt
> >
> >> I dont see how that is relevant in this case....
> >
> > There is no need for a high-handed response.
>
> the main point for the existence of CentOS is to
> offer a stable and
> upgradeable distro with a long life ( & a nice price
> tag ). You've just
> hacked that off by saying the best way to move
> between update cycles
> within the same release is to backup data and
> reinstall using CD..... :)
>

> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219 at icq

As you can see in this thread
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-March/062793.html
I took my cleanly installed  4.2 and yummed it to 4.3.
That avoided the hassles of 4.1 -> 4.2 plus I  had a
nicer partitions. Because i had experimented with
packages from non-base/didn't have the yum plugins as
i do now, I felt i would get a consistent experience
with a clean reinstall.

One of the systems had centos 3.5 (from which i saved
the htsearch in the previous seach post) which i felt
was not giving me maximum returns. A clean install is
in order for 3 -> 4

Because i have learned from the 4.1 era, i will not
experiment with packages and will yum my way to 4.4
and beyond.

It is however prudent to hear from the original poster
why he is still on 4.0 and avoid sideshows? Don't you agree?