[CentOS] Several problems upgrading CentOS 4.1 to 4.3

Sun Apr 9 10:09:39 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 00:54 -0500, Mike Kercher wrote:
> centos-bounces at centos.org <> scribbled on Sunday, April 09, 2006 12:43
> AM:
>
> > I had a CentOS 4.1 installation (LVM over RAID1), and tried
> > to do an update to the 4.3 release.
> > Nothing too fancy, I did all the partitions with the
> > graphical installer for the
> > 4.1 Version.
> %<-----snip
>

> > I'm not a newbie, I have quite a while working with linux,
> > and I just want to aware people who are going to perform an
> > update, skipping some version in between or perhaps moving to
> > 4.3 to be very carefull in the process.
> > I think this was a experience that was worth telling and
> > researching to find out what really happend.
> >

> Why did you not just 'yum upgrade' to go from 4.1 to 4.3?
>
> Mike

Mike is exactly right ...

All CentOS installs are upgradeable with the major version via yum at
all times. (That is, any CentOS-4 is upgradable to the latest CentOS-4.x
version via yum ... any CentOS-3 is upgradeable to any CentOS-3.x, etc.)

What is not recommended (for yum) is upgrading between major
versions ... ie upgrading via yum to CentOS-4 from CentOS-3.  In fact,
we recommend that you backup data, do a new install and move your data
over when you move from one major CentOS version to another.