[CentOS] Netgear FA312 Wake-on-Lan problem

Steve Campbell

campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Aug 2 14:18:24 UTC 2006

I have just noticed what appears to be a problem with my CentOS 3.7 servers
shutting down. I have Netgear FA312 NICs in some of my DELL PowerEdge 700
servers and this particular NIC has WOL ability.  I cannot turn this off in
the BIOS or limit the error responses. When I do a "halt", the server goes
only as far as closing the ethernet card and stops, resulting in a hardboot
being necessary. I guess this is not an error, as it indicates it is staying
awake for WOL, but I don't have it plugged in to the motherboard.

Does anyone have a clue as to how I should disable this stuff to allow a
clean shutdown? (without the need to replace the type of NIC, which is the
next solution)

Thanks

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com