[CentOS] [Solved] My SSL connection is very slow

dan1

dan1 at edenpics.com
Wed Aug 2 14:09:37 UTC 2006

> Hello all.
>
> I have a problem since months with my CentOS 4 webserver. It came up since
> I intalled it.
> The SSL pages are very slow. Typically, I get 2-3 thumbnails from an SSL
> page, and then nothing during 7 seconds, and then again 2 thumbnails,
> nothing again, etc.. and so forth during about 30 seconds after what all
> non loaded images are just discarded (time out).
> It also happens with the normal HTTP, but much less, and is usable.
>
> I must have done an error in the configuration, but I don't know where.
> I have tried taking the ssl.conf, httpd.conf and php.ini from another
> clean CentOS server (that does not present this) but after rebooting the
> services nothing changes. I don't see anything strange in the logs
> neither. It just takes very long to answer a request.
> I also tried to stop MySQL and Tomcat, but no chance.
>
> Did someone already see that kind of behaviour ?
>
> Kind regards,
> Daniel

I came some time ago with an SSL slowness that I didn't figure out
(described above).
I have just found what the problem was: I was using the LinWiz iptables
firewall builder, and this one did set by default to have a limitation for
synfloods at 1 syn per second (at the end of the script).
This, used with SSL, makes the HTTPS connection transfer speed being very
very slow, but not for the HTTP connections.

Now I incremented it to 50/s and 100 burst limitation, and all works very
well.
For those that this might help..

Daniel