[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Matty mattyml at prefetch.net
Wed Aug 2 16:41:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, William L. Maltby wrote:

> FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
> 0x0007   093   092   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       1866
> 0x0027   252   252   063    Pre-fail  Always       -       1457
>
> Now, the Q is: what do the numbers mean? Seconds? Milliseconds? If it's
> seconds, the "RAW_VALUE" may explain why all is OK after things have
> been powered up long enough. If it's ms, I can only thing it is running
> a self-test. I would have to go read those articles more closely to see
> what I can determine.

Hi William,

The attribute names (as listed in the "ATTRIBUTE_NAME" column) are
described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring%2C_Analysis%2C_and_Reporting_Technology

The VALUE column contains a normalized value for the attribute, WORST
contains the drives lifetime minimum (or maximum value), THRESH contains
the drive manufactures failure threshold, and RAW_VALUE contains a 6-byte
value that is used to store the attributes raw value. I see that several
sectors are marked as unreadable in the logfiles you posted. What
do you see in the column "Reallocated_Sector_Ct?" If the SMART attributes
check out, the disk is most likely fine (you can manually run a long self
test to be sure), and I would start looking at the SATA controller ( most
likely culprit) and the SATA device driver (you could easily integrate
some debugging data into the driver to assist with debugging the
problem).

Hope this helps,
- Ryan
--