[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Alfred von Campe alfred at 110.net
Wed Aug 2 22:06:54 UTC 2006

On Aug 2, 2006, at 15:11, William L. Maltby wrote:

> I'm new, but I think if you add it to a system, some changed things
> will
> appear on boot. Do a
>
>   pvscan --verbose
>   vgdisplay --verbose
>   lvdisplay --verbose  xxxx  # for each volgroup
>
> to get a layout. I *suspect* the LVM routines have everything set
> up as
> far as the physical aspects go. But the normal VolGroup00/LogVol00 is
> already used on your machine. I'm not sure how LVM will place the new
> volume into the system. If lucky, just find the physical volume and
> makes new /dev/mapper entries. That would be good. I've not had to do
> this carrying a disk to another machine.

I was able to mount the partition I needed, and accessing some
subdirectories was no problem at all.  But others, including the top
level directory, would generate lots of errors.  I was able to copy
(using scp) some critical files I needed.  I'm still not convinced
that the disk suffered a HW failure (I'm running the a long SMART
test now).  How can I determine if indeed the disk failed, as opposed
to the file system just getting corrupted?  I've salvaged everything
I need off of this disk, so running fsck on it is not a problem.  I
would like to determine the root cause, though.

Alfred