[CentOS] CentOS Based Fierwall Document

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Fri Aug 4 13:29:55 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 09:22 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
        > Frank Tanner III wrote:

        > >> Maybe Linux wants nothing to do with obnoxious people ?
        > >>
        > >> PS How you communicate influences how you are being
        perceived, and how you
        > >> are being perceived incluences how people respond. But if
        you want to
        > >> believe everybody who uses CentOS dislikes you, go ahead,
        nobody is
        > >> stopping you.
        > >>
        > >> Unless you want to believe they are. That's fine too. :)
        > >>

        > > It's a well known "fact" amongst the general public that the
        Linux
        > > "evangelists" are a rude flaming bunch.  There are hundreds
        of news
        > > articles stating such.  An THIS is what the public in
        general bases
        > > their attitudes with regards to the community as a whole on.
        > >
        > > I communicated clearly and concisely.  I didn't say ONE
        negative thing
        > > until I got jumped on; or didn't you actually read the
        thread.

        > I just read this entire exchange.  I think Karanbir's initial
        response
        > might have seemed a bit curt.  Perhaps he was just busy.  It
        didn't seem
        > like anyone went out of their way to annoy you.  Your posts,
        except for
        > the first, have been insulting to others (and intentionally
        so).  Rather
        > than lash out at "the community," a view into the mirror might
        be more
        > instructive.  I've found the community in general and this
        list in
        > particular to be quite useful over the years.  Sure, there is
        the
        > occasional wanker (some might even think I'm one of
        them...heh), but I
        > think your characterization of the community and the list is
        wrong,
        > unfair, and rather mean spirited.
        >
        > I hope you find a place to host your code and that you have a
        chance to
        > reflect on your behaviour and see that it was perhaps
        triggered by a
        > simple misunderstanding rather than malice.

        My characterization of the community is spot-on with regards to
        the way
        that I have been treated both on the forums and in the mailing
        list
        over-all.

        I go out of my way to provide a document that I think might be
        useful to
        others and get nothing but harsh criticism for it.  How would
        YOU feel
        if the roles were reversed?  I wasn't looking for a "Thank you
        thank you
        for providing a wonderful document.", however I was not looking
        for a
        "You asshole.  We have no idea what you are talking about.  Piss
        off."
        either.  And the latter is what I got.

        This whole thing could have been avoided had he either not
        responded at
        all if the message didn't concern him, respond with some USEFUL
        feedback, or apologize for being a jerk to begin with.

        As far as the "community" as a whole, go out there and read the
        trade
        publications and the publications that business decision makers
        base
        their decisions about the community on.  They all, pretty much,
        say the
        same thing.  Open Source is great.  The people are not.  That's
        what it
        boils down to.