[CentOS] CentOS Based Fierwall Document

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Aug 4 14:47:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 10:24:43AM -0400, pctech at mybellybutton.com wrote:
> Incorrect.  It said, "For those of you that have my firewall document."
> So its target audience was very clear and concice. In fact, that was the
> first statement.

Since this is a public list, and since a firewall document seems useful, the
question was completely appropriate. And you're reading way too much into
the tone.

Also, I can't help but notice that you're getting all worked up about this
portion of the thread, and ignoring the part about easily findable,
sensible, and logical places to post such a document that don't take up your
bandwidth.

> I know you by reputation.  You are a fantastic package maintainer.  How
> would YOU ahve felt when you first started maintaining packages for the
> various Linux flavors if every time you tried to introduce what you'd been
> doing you got flamed down? Because that's EXACTLY what has happened to me.

You're contradicting yourself. Were you trying to introduce what you were
doing, or were you trying to only send a message to people who already knew
about it, and no one else should ask?

Since the list archives are available, we can all see the actual truth
pretty clearly here. Stephen Smoogen asked a polite question, and rather
than answer, you responded that there was "no reason for [him] to fricken
reply". Later, Karanbir Singh tried again to ask for a brief introduction,
and got back a tirade.

No one "flamed you down". In fact, many people here are trying to help you
figure out how to self-publish your document effectively, but *you* are
choosing to do exactly what you are decrying, rather than accepting their
help.