[CentOS] Official Java

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Sun Aug 6 17:32:00 UTC 2006

Ted Miller wrote:
> What is the official method to install Java on Centos?  I searched, but
> could find no mention of Java on the Web site.

I don't know about "official," but what I normally do is install Sun's JDK, then the compatibility package from jpackage.org.  The
Sun stuff out of the box does not work with the "alternatives" system in CentOS, but the jpackage package fixes that up and sets up
a more "sane" environment.  The name is usually something like 'java-{version}-sun-compat-{version and release}, you will find it
under the "non-free" section of the jpackage.org web site.  This package provides symlinks and directories to make the
vendor-provided JDK play nice.

Don't be put off by the "non-free" part, it just means that the packages require "encumbered" components (like Sun's JDK) to be
rebuilt or installed.  Official has nothing to do with it, but I find that it is a bit "cleaner" than just the Sun-provided JDK.

Hope that helps!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com