[CentOS] Official Java

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Aug 6 12:58:24 UTC 2006

Ted Miller wrote:
> What is the official method to install Java on Centos?  I searched, but
> could find no mention of Java on the Web site.
Here are some notes that I have:
==================================

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Select the option JRE 5.0 Update <n>

Download the file:

chmod the file:
chmod u+x the_file_you_downloaded

exexute the file
/the_file_you_downloaded

Add the new directory in your path
(this is usually something like /usr/java/jre1.x.x/bin)

Once installed make certain that it runs and that you have the correct
version by typing the following at a command prompt:
java -version
It should display a message similar to the following:
java version "1.5.0-rc"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0-rc-b63)

Oh, and save the rpm that came out of the ./the_file_you_downloaded

You can install it on any number of systems without telling Sun  ;-)