[CentOS] Printing problem with CUPS and lp/lpr

Tony Schreiner schreian at bc.edu
Wed Aug 9 16:24:55 UTC 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Alfred von Campe wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2006, at 10:04, Tony Schreiner wrote:
>
>> I would use printconf instead of lpadmin. It sets up all the
>> necessary filters.
>
> So printconf comes with the system-config-printer RPM, and lpadmin
> comes with the cups RPM.  Are they "compatible" with each other?
> That is, can I (re)configure a printer I set up with lpadmin using
> printconf?  I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to
> remotely reconfigure the printer on the dozen Linux workstations I
> manage.  It appears the printconf is either a GUI or a TUI, but not
> a true command line utility, so it will be more painful to
> configure the remote systems.
>
> Having said that, if there is a way to configure the printer just
> right on one system, and then copy all the configuration files to
> the remote systems, that would work for me as well.  But
> configuring the printer just so and determining all the
> configuration files is where the magic lies...
>
> Alfred

printconf, runs printconf-backend which runs some python scripts in /
usr/share/printconf. You could  look there for the gory details.

as for recreating a configuration, ...possibly..., copying all the
files in /etc/cups  from one system to another would do it (and
restarting cups). Have not tried this though.
Tony Schreiner