[CentOS] MadWiFi and WPA working only on base kernel, not plus kernel

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Aug 14 19:24:14 UTC 2006

Interesting situation:

First my system -  HP NC4010, with Atheros pci mini card.

Latest MadWiFi drivers from:    http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/madwifi/
and wpa from:   http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/wpa_supplicant/

I had just the madwifi working back in Jul at the IETF conference.  But
as open only.

I had upgraded to the plus kernel, thinking it would get my internal SD
card reader working (it hasn't but I have to follow up on that
multi-drive usb drive thread).  Once i upgraded to the plus kernel,
kudzu could not see the Atheros card.

I put everything on hold, but I had at it today.  I discovered that if I
boot with the standard kernel, it detects the Atheros card and I even
got WPA-PSK working.

But I boot with the plus kernel, and kudzu goes and removes the Atheros
information from the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf file.

So why doesn't the plus kernel, which is suppose to have all the drivers
on that the upstream turned off not work with my Atheros card??????