[CentOS] OT: Gigabit Rated Eth Cables - Cat 6 v. Gigatrue

Karl Balsmeier

karlski2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 19:48:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

In populating our racks with several gigbit switches
over the next few days, i'm wondering this:

Is it over-engineering to seek out 550mhz rated cables
over the typical Cat 6 250mhz rated cables?

I've been advised (if you can a salesperson's words
advice, heh.) that 250mhz is enough to handle traffic
up to 10GB's.

Should I just be happy with Cat6 for my GB switches or
is is worth getting more into the details and seeking
550mhz-rated cable?

Just curious what your experience is in migrating away
from the typical 10/100 cables of yore to the spiffier
world of gb rated traffic.

-karlski