[CentOS] XFS and CentOS 4.3

Tue Aug 15 09:18:22 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 14:13 +1000, Mark Strong wrote:
> Hi All, after looking around for info on XFS(the filesystem) and its use
> on CentOS and/or RHEL 4.  There seems to be a lot of noise about 4K
> Stacks (especially on linux-xfs at oss.sgi.com).
>
> So what is the best way to get XFS working with CentOS 4.3 ? And not
> have something like this happening.
>
> A quote from the xfs list at sgi
> >On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 at 10:29am, Andrew Elwell wrote
> >
>         >using the 2.6.9-34 centosplus SMP kernel (3GHz P4 with
>         >hyperthreading enabled)
>         >
>         >what we normally (~once a day) is simply
>         >
>         >do_IRQ: stack overflow: 416
>         >[<c0107a27>]
>
> >You don't want to use the XFS in the centosplus kernel. It has major
> >known issues with 4K stacks (leading to overflows). Use the
> >kernel-module-xfs (or somesuch) RPM instead, and you should have better
> >luck.
>
> Do I need a kernel with 8K stacks?
>
> and is this
>
> http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/testing/i386/RPMS/kernel-module-xfs-2.6.9-34.ELsmp-0.1-3.i686.rpm
>
> the "kernel-module-xfs" RPM he was talking about (or equivalent for
> `uname -r` equals 2.6.9-34.ELsmp).
>

> Regards
> Mark Strong

Personally, I would not use xfs on Linux ... maybe take a look here:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060814

And see what several debain devel's say about XFS.

RedHat says it is not stable enough to use in RHEL.

I don't think everyone can be wrong.

If you really want to use it, you can use the module you referenced
above and our kernel.  The standard RHEL kernel will not compile w/
anything except 4k stacks (that is how the CentOS kernel is released
too) ... so if you want to do that, you'll need to figure it out.