[CentOS] Big load

Linus Hicks lihicks at gpi.com
Thu Aug 17 13:18:22 UTC 2006

Marek Dabrowski wrote:
> Barry Brimer napisał(a):
>>> This serwer is working with another one (that some configuration) in
>>> RHEL cluster (locking by DLM), as a file serwer with samba-3.0.22.
>>> Samba have about 100 simultaneus sessions. Problem is with load of my
>>> system. It's growing up. I disabled/enabled samba processes, disabled
>>> backup system, disabled antyvirus for samba, but this didn't help.
>>> CPU utilization is 5-10%, ram utilization ~2GB. I don't have any idea
>>> what's wrong. Any suggestion?
>>
>> Does this problem only happen on one server, but not the other, or
>> does it happen on both servers?
>
> I thing that problem is on both, but second one is working like print
> serwer, and load don't jump.

Okay, I'm having a disconnect here. None of these graphs make sense to me. The
system load as stated in the legend on the graphs is composed of 1, 5, and 15
minute averages. Under steady load conditions, these averages should converge.
The graphs don't show that, although the numbers listed do. The graph seems to
be showing the additive value of all three load averages which is bogus (or at
least misleading).