[CentOS] extending ext3 filesystem on logical volume

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Aug 18 00:28:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 18:32 -0400, James Marcinek wrote:
> hello all,
>
> I am trying to expand my /var file system which resides on a logical
> volume. I successfully issued the lvextend command. However when I try
> to issue the ext2online command I receive a return code of 3 which the
> man pages indicates:
>
> ext2online /var
> ext2online v1.1.18 - 2001/03/18 for EXT2FS 0.5b
> ext2online: group 0, block 7 not reserved
>
> ext2online: unable to resize /dev/mapper/root_vg-lv_var
>
> echo $?
> 3
>
> 3    Error in pre-resizing (user space) operation
>
> Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I would prefer doing this
> online...

You may not be doing anything wrong. From the man page,

  you need to have the Online ext2 resize support
  (CON-FIG_EXT2_RESIZE)  feature  enabled  in  the kernel (after
  applying the appropriate patch for the 2.x series of kernels).

*I* don't know if the kernel(s) have been compiled with this enabled? Do
you know?