[CentOS] extending ext3 filesystem on logical volume

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Aug 18 00:40:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 20:28 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 18:32 -0400, James Marcinek wrote:
> > hello all,
> >
> > I am trying to expand my /var file system which resides on a logical
> > volume. <snip>

> > ext2online: unable to resize /dev/mapper/root_vg-lv_var
> >
> > echo $?
> > 3
> >
> > 3    Error in pre-resizing (user space) operation
> >
> > Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I would prefer doing this
> > online...
>
> You may not be doing anything wrong. From the man page,
>
>   you need to have the Online ext2 resize support
>   (CON-FIG_EXT2_RESIZE)  feature  enabled  in  the kernel (after
>   applying the appropriate patch for the 2.x series of kernels).
>
> *I* don't know if the kernel(s) have been compiled with this enabled? Do
> you know?

I just checked the stock kernel (34-2 version) .config file and that
flag is not enabled, AFAICT. Maybe the Plus kernel has it?

If you are in a hurry and have *some* flexibility, I'll suggest this.

Remount the file system read only (be *sure*) and then do a plain old
resize with the force, *if* needed. I do this sort of thing to both
shrink and grow and to do consistency checks.

Diligence is required. If it's present, you are safe.

You may be able to accomplish what you want an easier way? Can you make
a new lv instead and move some piece of the file system to it? Then you
don't need to resize.

Just because you *can* put everything on one lv and one partition, it
doesn't mean you have to, nor is it necessarily wise to do so.

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill