[CentOS] [OT] RedHat's licence, CentOS rebuild

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Aug 20 21:24:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Alain Reguera wrote:

> On 8/19/06, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> > Let me reply to something that gave a bad taste in my mouth.

> > > with "they" I refer to redhat (the main builder, who give the sources)
> > >
> > > with "we" I refer to my friends and I, and maybe the others that could
> > > be in the same situation of us.
> >
> > So your question implies that they (Red Hat) do not want us (you and
> > your friends) to use CentOS ? I don't agree with your implication.
>
> maybe you are not in the list I refer as "we". would like to know how
> you'll feel if you see your country in the line 67-68 of this file:
> http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/rawhide-snapshots/2006-05-27-0237/eula.txt

Talk to a lawyer. But if the user (you) lives in one of the countries
listed in the EXPORT CONTROL section of the EULA, I don't see why you
would even care about the EULA. :)

I don't even understand why they put the responsibility in the hands of
the user, especially for countries where the US has no control over (and
thus no control over the users). I even doubt that they expect you to
understand English and/or obey to there rules.

Especially if you're being embargoed.

But then again, I don't think the export control laws are really
enforcable on a medium called Internet. Either it's public, or it is not.
Internet does not care about boundaries.

I bet it's just there to formally comply with a checklist.
Control export ? Check !

> for a minute, feel like one of "we" and maybe you have the answer that
> is needed. (please, I appreciate your comment, don't confuse mine)
>
> maybe there is or there is no legal implication at using CentOS (and
> don't care, what the (fedora|redhat )'s eula.txt file says) ... and
> that is what I ("we") need to know. Since a legal point of view.

Talk to a lawyer if you care. Again, I doubt that it's enforceable.
Especially outside the U.S., even more as an 'external' user.

> I don't question those things Dag, indeed think of those things as
> "love", what I question is the name of my country in a discriminatory
> way on one fedora's official file (and then redhat).

That's politics and administrative actions a US company has to comply
with. But again I doubt it is enforceable. Especially is you read the EULA
from the CD in one of those countries. The moment you merely read the EULA
you already broke the stuff you implicitely warrants.

Common sense says that that's not fair.

Kind regards,