[CentOS] [OT] RedHat's licence, CentOS rebuild

Alain Reguera Delgado alain.reguera at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 12:50:08 UTC 2006

On 8/20/06, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Alain Reguera wrote:
>
> > On 8/19/06, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:

> > > So your question implies that they (Red Hat) do not want us (you and
> > > your friends) to use CentOS ? I don't agree with your implication.
> >
> > maybe you are not in the list I refer as "we". would like to know how
> > you'll feel if you see your country in the line 67-68 of this file:
> > http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/rawhide-snapshots/2006-05-27-0237/eula.txt
>
> Talk to a lawyer. But if the user (you) lives in one of the countries
> listed in the EXPORT CONTROL section of the EULA, I don't see why you
> would even care about the EULA. :)

maybe because never heard about this, and this is the first time I do,
and want to know what exactly is, and how much I am legally affected.

> I don't even understand why they put the responsibility in the hands of
> the user, especially for countries where the US has no control over (and
> thus no control over the users). I even doubt that they expect you to
> understand English and/or obey to there rules.
>
> Especially if you're being embargoed.
>
> But then again, I don't think the export control laws are really
> enforcable on a medium called Internet. Either it's public, or it is not.
> Internet does not care about boundaries.

that's one point a could read in the site:
http://www.cyber-rights.org/crypto/wassenaar.htm
all this seems to be a misunderstanding with what is told in Wassenaar
Arrangement about the cryptography topic, considered as a double
purpose mean.

So, confirm what you said Dag, many countries have understood that
civil cryptography is necessary to the information develop of
nowadays. So they do no apply this, but what I can't found was
something like the Wassenaar Arrangement was changed and though this
regulations clarified, as a legally form. Just that some countries
don't enforce this, even when it is in the agreement (if I understood
what I read).

in the url above there is a clear information about the topic.

--
my Regards to you and your Time
Al.