[CentOS] [OT] RedHat's licence, CentOS rebuild

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Aug 21 16:41:41 UTC 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

> On 8/20/06, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Alain Reguera wrote:
> >
> > > maybe you are not in the list I refer as "we". would like to know how
> > > you'll feel if you see your country in the line 67-68 of this file:
> > > http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/rawhide-snapshots/2006-05-27-0237/eula.txt
> >
> > Talk to a lawyer. But if the user (you) lives in one of the countries
> > listed in the EXPORT CONTROL section of the EULA, I don't see why you
> > would even care about the EULA. :)
>
> maybe because never heard about this, and this is the first time I do,
> and want to know what exactly is, and how much I am legally affected.

My point is that imagine you are a user from Cuba and you have downloaded
Fedora. Why would *you* care about the EXPORT CONTROL section ? What is
the U.S. going to do, embargo the country ? invade it ? :)

I personally find it very strange they put this in the EULA, because
putting the responsibility onto the user is very strange if you don't
trust that user in the first place.

But then again, the file is there because of U.S. regulations, not Cuban
regulations. And hell, maybe they put it there to scare a few Cubans on
the way. It worked for you, right ? ;)

Kind regards,