[CentOS] lvm2 mirroring in upcoming centos 4.4, was: FDISK help

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Mon Aug 21 13:35:51 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Can you add a mirror to any LVM after creating it without
> making provisions ahead of time as you must when setting
> up raid devices?

Not sure how the lvm2 implementation in linux is, as I have not seen any docs
for how it is supposed to work. In AIX, you do it on the fly with mklvcopy and
you can make up to two copies (so 3 in total, one "original" and two copies) and
you remove it with rmlvcopy. This can be done on the fly regardless of
filesystem or if it is mounted or not since it all occurs at LVM leven and below
the filesystem.

> I have found it useful to create 'broken
> raid' devices that could be mirrored on demand to external
> drives and have been thinking about doing it over iscsi too.
> However it doesn't seem possible to install the system on
> a raid with missing devices.

Yes, this is a use for the feature. Kind of a simple snapshot where you can make
a portable copy of a filesystem (after the copy, you split off the PV from the VG).

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.