[CentOS] Kind of OT: internal imap server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 05:50:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 00:22, Andy Green wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> > Postfix still doesn't have a way to let you hook user
> > defined scanners running under a different uid to run
> > in realtime during the smtp conversation, does it?  MimeDefang
>
> I just implemented a greylisting app called GPS with postfix on an
> embedded ARM board here, and it runs as "nobody" and is active during
> the smtp conversation.
>
> You add something like this to /etc/postfix/master.cf and you're away:
>
> policy unix - n n - - spawn user=nobody argv=/usr/bin/gps /etc/gps.conf
                        ^^^^

Does that mean it starts a new process for every message? The milter
interface chats over a socket to a long-running process so you
don't have to initialize it every time.  MimeDefang also multiplexes
to several slaves that do the scanning work so you don't have to
serialize everything either.

> I realize often the skills one acquires managing a particular setup can
> outweigh moving to another platform even if it is better, but one look
> at the need for a Makefile to translate one incomprehensible config
> format into a config format that sends grown men insane convinced me to
> back the Postfix horse :-)

I'm still missing the 'better' part.  And Makefiles have always
been a useful way to automate repetitive tasks - even better
when someone else has written them and embedded the execution
in the program startup script.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com