[CentOS] Re: Kind of OT: internal imap server

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Aug 24 17:13:16 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell spake the following on 8/23/2006 9:38 PM:
> On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 23:22, Feizhou wrote:
>>> YEAH ! Flamewar ! Yohooooooooooooo!
>> haha. well, i guess having had to immediately upgrade more than a dozen
>> boxes running sendmail whenever a remote exploit was found kind of made
>> me rather unwilling to deal with it anymore after the peace and quiet I
>> get from running postfix. Also, not having to decipher them sendmail
>> rulesets and create new ones were a relief. Then there was the
>> instability of milter to contend with...
>>
>> I guess that is all long past now is it?
>
> Unless typing 'yum update' to pick up fixes that have
> been needed less often than in the Linux kernel for the last
> few years is a problem for you...
>
> No one edits sendmail.cf directly anymore and milter has been
> stable for about as long as postfix has existed at all.
> Postfix still doesn't have a way to let you hook user
> defined scanners running under a different uid to run
> in realtime during the smtp conversation, does it?  MimeDefang
> lets you do anything you can describe in perl and return the response
> through the milter interface for various operations
> before the mail has been acknowledged as accepted.

I think postfix has added milter support lately. I use sendmail, but only
because it is what I know, and I don't want to muck about in a working
mailserver. Someday I will learn postfix, right after I get those washboard
abs and die out the grey! ;-)
('cause only the cool kids know postfix!!!!!)

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and