[CentOS] USB Pendrive automounting

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro leopinheiro at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 13:44:50 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com> wrote:

> Hell! I'd be happy if mine would just see the critter and mount it!!
> Every time I've even attempted to use my pen drive on my CentOS
> workstation it's killed the thing. I've gone through two of'em so far.
> Not even gonna attempt it with the third one.
>
> --
> Mark

I misunderstood your message. What got killed? The Centos freezed or the USB
disk died?

If the USB disk didn't die, would you like to try again and tell me what
says /var/log/messages ? Then I could compare with mine, and other people
here in the mailing list could help also.

There're (old) pendrivers that should be explicitly unmounted before
removing it from the USB hub. In Windows, this procedure is called "removing
the device safely". If you remove it without unmount before, it just dies.

--
Vilela