[CentOS] USB Pendrive automounting

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Mon Aug 28 00:20:44 UTC 2006

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro wrote:

> On 8/24/06, *Mark Weaver* <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
> <mailto:mdw1982 at mdw1982.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hell! I'd be happy if mine would just see the critter and mount it!!
>     Every time I've even attempted to use my pen drive on my CentOS
>     workstation it's killed the thing. I've gone through two of'em so far.
>     Not even gonna attempt it with the third one.
>
>     --
>     Mark
>

> I misunderstood your message. What got killed? The Centos freezed or the
> USB disk died?
>
> If the USB disk didn't die, would you like to try again and tell me what
> says /var/log/messages ? Then I could compare with mine, and other
> people here in the mailing list could help also.
>
> There're (old) pendrivers that should be explicitly unmounted before
> removing it from the USB hub. In Windows, this procedure is called
> "removing the device safely". If you remove it without unmount before,
> it just dies.
>
> --
> Vilela

It was the pen drives that died. You've gotta try real hard to knock
CentOS down.

I tailed the messages log and when it did see the device it would
attempt to mount it but would produce an error. Most times though it
couldn't find the device and would just keep trying to find the USB
device... /dev/USB* etc...

Those time though when it would come close it would start the mount, but
never finish, so when I'd remove the device it was as if I'd done so
while it was mounted and the device would never work again... anywhere.
It was just dead.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."