[CentOS] Switching off color on console

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 16:15:12 UTC 2006

On 25/08/06, William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > And I still don't, but maybe a clue? Kernel parameter *if* allowed. I'm
> > looking for the list of those on my machine now. Haven't found them yet,
> > but ...
>
> Was having so much fun, forgot to make my suggestion, based upon the man
> page. Maybe TERM=linux-m at end of grub line vmlinuz... ?

There's further documentation in
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-7.93.24.EL/sysconfig.txt about the options
in /etc/sysconfig/init. The grub man page's a bit sparse but the info
page is more forthcoming. Under the "* Serial terminal::" section...

     grub> serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
     grub> terminal serial

   The command `terminal' (*note terminal::) chooses which type of
terminal you want to use. In the case above, the terminal will be a
serial terminal, but you can also pass `console' to the command, as
`terminal serial console'. In this case, a terminal in which you press
any key will be selected as a GRUB terminal.

   However, note that GRUB assumes that your terminal emulator is
compatible with VT100 by default. This is true for most terminal
emulators nowadays, but you should pass the option `--dumb' to the
command if your terminal emulator is not VT100-compatible or implements
few VT100 escape sequences. If you specify this option then GRUB
provides you with an alternative menu interface, because the normal
menu requires several fancy features of your terminal.

There could be more in there but my "info" navigation's useless :)

Will.