[CentOS] Switching off color on console

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Aug 25 16:33:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 17:15 +0100, Will McDonald wrote:
> On 25/08/06, William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > > And I still don't, but maybe a clue? Kernel parameter *if* allowed. I'm
> > > looking for the list of those on my machine now. Haven't found them yet,
> > > but ...
> >
> > Was having so much fun, forgot to make my suggestion, based upon the man
> > page. Maybe TERM=linux-m at end of grub line vmlinuz... ?

Tried this, NG. But with what Will discovered below, maybe the OP is
approaching nirvana?

I think I need to read up on grub. I also tried the "append=" stuff, but
no help (I didn't read up on it, I wonder if I used the rght syntax?
Maybe that's only a LILO construct?).

> There's further documentation in
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-7.93.24.EL/sysconfig.txt about the options
> in /etc/sysconfig/init. The grub man page's a bit sparse but the info
> page is more forthcoming. Under the "* Serial terminal::" section...
>
>      grub> serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
>      grub> terminal serial
>
>    The command `terminal' (*note terminal::) chooses which type of
> terminal you want to use. In the case above, the terminal will be a
> serial terminal, but you can also pass `console' to the command, as
> `terminal serial console'. In this case, a terminal in which you press
> any key will be selected as a GRUB terminal.
>
>    However, note that GRUB assumes that your terminal emulator is
> compatible with VT100 by default. This is true for most terminal
> emulators nowadays, but you should pass the option `--dumb' to the
> command if your terminal emulator is not VT100-compatible or implements
> few VT100 escape sequences. If you specify this option then GRUB
> provides you with an alternative menu interface, because the normal
> menu requires several fancy features of your terminal.
>
> There could be more in there but my "info" navigation's useless :)

IIUC, all this, including the "man init" statement about receiving
CONSOLE from kernel, relates only to devices, but doesn't help on the
"terminal type" (TERM=).

I'll take one last stab by "info grub", viewing
the /usr/share/doc/initscripts-7.93.24.EL/sysconfig.txt Will discovered
and then move on to things I need to do.

--
Bill