[CentOS] Switching off color on console

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Aug 25 17:23:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 12:33 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:

> > > Was having so much fun, forgot to make my suggestion, based upon the man
> > > page. Maybe TERM=linux-m at end of grub line vmlinuz... ?
>
> Tried this, NG. But with what Will discovered below, maybe the OP is
> approaching nirvana?
>
> I think I need to read up on grub. I also tried the "append=" stuff, but
> no help (I didn't read up on it, I wonder if I used the right syntax?
> Maybe that's only a LILO construct?).

Nope. My original "TERM=" and "append=..." looks OK.

> > There's further documentation in
> > /usr/share/doc/initscripts-7.93.24.EL/sysconfig.txt about the options
> > <snip>

> > There could be more in there but my "info" navigation's useless :)

Well, I navigated. But it didn't help. Good navigation doesn't help the
case of no valid destination!  ;-)

> IIUC, all this, including the "man init" statement about receiving
> CONSOLE from kernel, relates only to devices, but doesn't help on the
> "terminal type" (TERM=).

This reinforced by both the grub stuff and the sysconfig text that Will
referenced.

> I'll take one last stab by "info grub", viewing
> the /usr/share/doc/initscripts-7.93.24.EL/sysconfig.txt Will discovered
> and then move on to things I need to do.

Kernel param list didn't help. The closest I can see is what Dag
originally found, the BOOTUP in sysconfig for init. And that comes too
late to address output before init is invoked. Kernel seems to have a
*few* "pre-defined" types of displays it supports. VGA, some serial, a
couple specials (for HP) and MDA (IIRC, a really old type?).

With the assumption that everything is VT100 (or ANSI) compatible and no
way I discovered to pass a kernel param that changes the behavior (or
TERM= equivalent value), I think the BOOTUP is as close as you get
*unless* you make your own kernel. In there you should be able to
suppress the "printk" escape sequences that produce "bold", etc.

The is a parameter, "earlyprintk=" that *might* offer a slim hope. But
you'll have to chase that, I'm on to other things I need to do.

--
Bill