[CentOS] Switching off color on console

Thomas Prangenberg thomas_prangenberg at online.de
Fri Aug 25 19:43:20 UTC 2006

William L. Maltby schrieb:
> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 12:33 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
>> Tried this, NG. But with what Will discovered below, maybe the OP is
>> approaching nirvana?
>>
>> I think I need to read up on grub. I also tried the "append=" stuff, but
>> no help (I didn't read up on it, I wonder if I used the right syntax?
>> Maybe that's only a LILO construct?).
>
> Nope. My original "TERM=" and "append=..." looks OK.
>
>>> There's further documentation in
>>> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-7.93.24.EL/sysconfig.txt about the options
>>> <snip>
>
>>> There could be more in there but my "info" navigation's useless :)
>
> Well, I navigated. But it didn't help. Good navigation doesn't help the
> case of no valid destination!  ;-)
>
>> IIUC, all this, including the "man init" statement about receiving
>> CONSOLE from kernel, relates only to devices, but doesn't help on the
>> "terminal type" (TERM=).
>
> This reinforced by both the grub stuff and the sysconfig text that Will
> referenced.
>
>> I'll take one last stab by "info grub", viewing
>> the /usr/share/doc/initscripts-7.93.24.EL/sysconfig.txt Will discovered
>> and then move on to things I need to do.
>
> Kernel param list didn't help. The closest I can see is what Dag
> originally found, the BOOTUP in sysconfig for init. And that comes too
> late to address output before init is invoked. Kernel seems to have a
> *few* "pre-defined" types of displays it supports. VGA, some serial, a
> couple specials (for HP) and MDA (IIRC, a really old type?).
>
> With the assumption that everything is VT100 (or ANSI) compatible and no
> way I discovered to pass a kernel param that changes the behavior (or
> TERM= equivalent value), I think the BOOTUP is as close as you get
> *unless* you make your own kernel. In there you should be able to
> suppress the "printk" escape sequences that produce "bold", etc.
>
> The is a parameter, "earlyprintk=" that *might* offer a slim hope. But
> you'll have to chase that, I'm on to other things I need to do.
>
>>> Will
>>> <snip sig stuff>

Sorry if I ask something stupid,
if Petr's modification of the /etc/sysconfig/init file provides for a
black and white bootup (it does) and an entry in /etc/profile or the
respective .bashrc files provides a black and white login
(TERM=linux-m/export TERM) what is the benefit of defining the black and
white term on kernel level before these steps.
Best regards,
Thomas