[CentOS] Re: Re: Does irqbalance actually do anything?

Steven asterisk at tescogroup.com
Mon Aug 28 20:47:07 UTC 2006

I have the following in my rc.local file:
--------------------
setpci -v -s 00:1f.1 LATENCY_TIMER=4
setpci -v -s 02:0e.0 LATENCY_TIMER=4
setpci -v -s 0b:07.0 LATENCY_TIMER=4
setpci -v -s 0c:08.0 LATENCY_TIMER=4
setpci -v -s 10:0d.0 LATENCY_TIMER=0
setpci -v -s 06:02.0 LATENCY_TIMER=ff

echo 1 > /proc/irq/201/smp_affinity
echo 1 > /proc/irq/217/smp_affinity
echo 0 > /proc/irq/209/smp_affinity
echo 1 > /proc/irq/14/smp_affinity

The last 4 lines set the CPU for the 4 PCI cards that I have with the most activity.
My TDM Card, 2 NICs and a Raid Controller.

It is a dual proc machine, so 0 is one CPU and 1 is the other.

If you do these commands while irqbalance is still running, they will just get undone a few seconds later.
irqbalance does the same as above, it just edits these files after determining the load on each CPU.

Steven

http://www.glimasoutheast.org