[CentOS] Re: Can't update kernel, says not enough space

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Aug 28 21:51:05 UTC 2006

Guillermo Garron spake the following on 8/28/2006 11:47 AM:

>> > Lazy? ;-)) When he first posted it, I did a "man ...". The answer is
>> > there!
>> >
>> But you have to install it before you have the man entry. And it
>> leaves info
>> for others. And yes, maybe a little bit lazy... O:-)
>>
>> And now that I tried it, it didn't remove the smp kernels, so I had to
>> do it
>> manually. And I don't see anything in the man page about that.
> Bazooka Joe <fastfish at gmail.com> from the
> Fedora forum wrote this a
> few days ago.
> <start qoutation>
> 1) "uname -r" to tell you what kernel you are running.
>
> 2) "rpm -qa | grep kernel"
>
> 3) "rpm -e" all the kernel-XXX and kernel-devel-XXX kernels you want to
> delete.
> I recommend keeping your last two kernels.
>
> 4) In addition, you might want to do the following:
>
> rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep kernel | grep -v smp`
>
> That will remove all kernel and kernel-devel stuff that is not smp.
> ____ <end of qoutation>
> regards,
>
> Guillermo.
That is basically what I did to clean it up. A few of the machines were
freshly installed a few weeks ago, so they had several kernels on them. I just
got too busy to clean up. I just wonder if there is a flaw in the
package-cleanup script. If I was any good at python, I would think it is just
missing the smp kernels.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and